FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com

Fixin' Supper

Talkin' 'bout what to fix for supper. Tonight, tomorrow night....

Friday, March 03, 2006

Cooking death trap

Cooking for children dulls your brain. I'm sorry, they're lovely and I can't live without them but how much mac & cheese can one person take?

When I got pregnant more than seven years ago now, I bought all these great books on child nutrition. They all tell you how to raise a child who eats a well-rounded diet, enjoys fruits and vegetables, and shuns junk food. Bullsh*t. Frankly I was actually doing pretty well at that until my child hit elementary school itself. Though she has basically the same best friends she always has, her diet grows ever more limited.

More TV? I don't know. I think it's just growing independence. Even though she is very well grounded in what is and isn't good for her, what she wants is Velveeta every night.

Lately I've been on this kick, deciding that if she helps cook, then certainly she'll enjoy eating it. Wrong. She likes to cook most anything but still, she eats what she eats.

I really shouldn't complain; I've seen much pickier eaters, and I have to continually remind myself that she is obviously healthy and there's no need for concern. Mostly, it's my own selfish interest at stake here. With just the two of us in the house, it's ridiculous to make two separate meals. And I'm sick of chicken nuggets myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home