FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com

Fixin' Supper

Talkin' 'bout what to fix for supper. Tonight, tomorrow night....

Sunday, February 26, 2006

Always a success

Just got back from a GREAT potluck--several folks collected from different places, great food and drink--and the dish I took was a big hit, if I can say so myself. I don't make this carrot casserole all that often but every time I do, people are happy. I think it all goes back to one of the basic theories of Southern cooking: just add more butter and more eggs.

I got this recipe from my mother, who's made it for many years. I have no idea of the actual origins of it.

Carrot Casserole


  • 2 cups mashed, cooked carrots (about 2 lbs.) (Once I steamed the carrots, I mashed them into say, 1/4-inch-square bits with a pastry blender.)
  • 1 cup cracker crumbs (saltine crackers)
  • 1 cup milk (I was actually out of milk tonight and used half and half. Mmm.)
  • 3/4 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup softened margarine
  • 1/4 cup grated onion
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 3 eggs

Combine all ingredients except eggs. Beat eggs until slightly puffy and fold into carrot mixture. Pour into a well-greased 1 1/2 quart ring mold or a long rectangular baking dish. Bake at 350 for 40 to 45 minutes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home