FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com

Fixin' Supper

Talkin' 'bout what to fix for supper. Tonight, tomorrow night....

Sunday, December 11, 2005

What I'm up to

So I've been cooking a lot lately and in my head, I'm blogging every recipe. It's really kind of funny....now, every time I cook, I'm editing a post in my head. You see how often I actually get to the computer and type them in, though.

Two things (of the several) I cooked this weekend bear mention in real life, though.

I was in charge of refreshments today at church. Here's what I took:
  • Carrots and vegetable dip (recipe below)
  • Cheese krispies
  • Cookies -- These were some of those frozen ones from a school fundraiser. They were done in 10 minutes and the way the kids ate them I should have baked twice as many.

The adults loved the first two items though.

Vegetable dip
1 pint sour cream
1 pint Hellman's (I use light on both)
1 t. pepper
1 t. salt
1 t. garlic powder
1 t. onion powder

Mix. Make 24 hours ahead.

Now for the second discussion....french toast. I have never in my life made this before today. Not ever. So when we saw an ad for freezer, store-bought "french toast sticks" on cartoons yesterday, after the 6yo started demanding them, I said, oh we can just whip those up in the morning. No need to buy them.

Right.

Four egg-soaked, burned pieces of bread later, I'm here to tell different. For once I followed a recipe -- maybe that was the problem?? -- and they were mush! mush I say! on the inside. For the second batch, I didn't let them soak in the batter at all and they tasted better but they weren't that rich french toast taste you expect. But the 6yo thought those were great and wanted more. Of course I was out of fixings by then.

So now I have a quest....figure out how to really make french toast. (Isn't this supposed to be one of those "guy" recipes? You know, the bachelor who can't cook, but he can whip up french toast in the morning? It shouldn't be this hard!!) Clearly something was wrong with the first recipe. My suspicion is the cooking instructions. But I'll have to work on it and report back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home