FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com

Fixin' Supper

Talkin' 'bout what to fix for supper. Tonight, tomorrow night....

Saturday, September 03, 2005

A completely unsatisfying kitchen chore

=cooking for kids. Well I will add one caveat to that: I always get big appreciation on dessert.

But otherwise, there's little point. My daughter's two favorite meals? Peanut butter and honey sandwich, and Kraft made-from-orange powder mac & cheese. While I've been assured several times that I "make the best peanut butter sandwiches in the world," a. I'm sure her dad and stepmom hear the same thing and b. it requires so little culinary effort as to be completely unrewarding.

From the time she was born, I vowed that she would be a "good eater." That I would expose her to all sorts of foods. That she would be the one child who ate her vegetables.

And really, I can't complain -- I know a lot of 6yos who are MUCH pickier. She'll try new things and even occasionally like them. She eats lots of foods and while she'd prefer cookies and ice cream for every meal, she is a healthy eater, even with little prodding.

But nonetheless, you cannot look to a 6yo to appreciate the hour you spent making dinner. You'd damn well better like it yourself, because from them, you're much more likely to get a "But I wanted chicken NUGGETS" than a "delicious meatloaf!" Or whatever.

3 Comments:

At 6:54 AM, Blogger Bill said...

A friend of mine, now 25, spent a college semester in Florence, Italy. Granted, she was living on not much money, but she was homesick for Easy Mac and ranch dressing and had her mother send her some. She still likes Easy Mac more than most other foods, and hates veggies.

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger Laura Creekmore said...

Well I can both identify with and am disturbed by that story. To whit:

I traveled abroad the summer after my junior year in college and at one point, after being out of country for more than two months, met up with a friend in Athens. I had by that point spent a month in London [I could not afford to eat at the good restaurants there, being a starving student, and, well, the reputation of most English food seems to be deserved.], and some time in Sri Lanka, where the food was unusual but good. So after 3 days of stuffed grape leaves, the two of us both spied McDonald's and promised we'd never tell, but we HAD TO have some good ol' American french fries.

Of course, we ran into someone I knew -- isn't that the way -- coming out of the bathroom at Mickey D's. So much for our secret snack.

While I have rarely turned down McD's fries, I think I do eat a decently varied diet. And enjoyed my way through many more olives, tomatoes and feta the rest of the trip.

I will say this: I may be related to folks who would qualify for both Easy Mac and ranch dressing rehab.

 
At 12:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Help! I am lost. I was searching for dog food and somehow ended up here. How that happened I don't know, however I do like your Blog a lot. Would you mind if I add your Blog to my favorites page so others can visit?

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home