FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com

Fixin' Supper

Talkin' 'bout what to fix for supper. Tonight, tomorrow night....

Friday, August 26, 2005

Tortilla soup

About 10 years ago, my old boss and I used to walk across the street to this little deli located in the garage of an office building there. The whole setup was really very odd. I wonder how she ever even knew about the place but I never asked her that. Anyway, the lady who ran the deli made some of the most delicious lunch food -- and cheap! -- I've ever had. She would deliver occasionally, but it was easiest to go to her. She was a little quirky.

One of the best things she had was tortilla soup. We asked her one day how she made it and I couldn't believe how simple it was. Ever since, I have used this recipe. It is very flexible. It's one that you can't screw up. I proved it again tonight; got started making it and discovered I had no chicken broth. I REALLY did not feel like thawing the chicken I had just to make broth; that is overkill for this little soup.

But I found the last of the turkey broth from last year in the freezer and that worked out great. Very flavorful.

Tortilla Soup
With credits to the luncheon lady from 10 years ago

* Brown a chopped onion in a dutch oven in a bit of olive or canola oil
* Add some pressed garlic to your taste -- I did about 4 cloves tonight, but they were very fresh and so not too strong
* Add between 1 pt. and 1 quart chicken broth -- Start with a pint and add more later once you see how the other ingredients do
* 1 can diced tomatoes
* 1 small can green chiles [I drain this]
* 1 cup or so corn
* 1 t. cumin
* Salt and pepper to taste
* Chopped cooked chicken, if you like

I add the chicken sometimes and not others. Depends on what I feel like.

I usually end up using around a quart of chicken broth but you could go a little more, little less.

Cook over medium [not boiling] for about 20 minutes, until all is hot.

Serve with tortilla chips and colby jack cheese.

5 Comments:

At 4:52 PM, Blogger Mike said...

make money
is easy. make money

 
At 5:24 AM, Blogger TS said...

Nice Blog!!!   I thought I'd tell you about a site that will let give you places where
you can make extra cash! I made over $800 last month. Not bad for not doing much. Just put in your
zip code and up will pop up a list of places that are available. I live in a small area and found quite
a few. MAKE MONEY NOW

 
At 4:38 AM, Blogger blaze said...

I really enjoyed you cooking gas website. I also have a site about cooking gas Please take a look. I hope you will find it interesting

 
At 4:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post!

I did a search for gas pump and found this site. I have put together an ebook I have titled, "Huge Gas Pump Savings."

Dave
http://www.huge-gas-pump-savings.com/

 
At 2:33 AM, Blogger www.k-and-ktreasures.com said...

I just came across your blog about anniversary present idea and I think it is really informative for all of your members. You could consider visiting my site about anniversary present idea to guide your guests towards products and services related to anniversary present idea. Keep up the good work!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home