FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com

Fixin' Supper

Talkin' 'bout what to fix for supper. Tonight, tomorrow night....

Monday, July 04, 2005

What a great find

What an absolutely delinquent blogger I've been over the last month. I apologize [but I am grateful] if you're still out there. Moving is so emotionally draining. I can tell you that all the time I used to spend blogging (and cooking, for that matter), I've instead been spending on the phone with various utilities, or pulling staples out of my newly revealed hardwood floors, or unpacking something else I should have just thrown away. I'm thankfully approaching the end of all those tasks -- so perhaps I'll be getting back to real life.

I have been cooking a bit more in recent days. And I've stumbled across the most incredible fresh-food find. If you live in Nashville, you just must know about it, and if you don't, you need to seek out something like this near you -- Google "Community Supported Agriculture" and your city.

The Bugtussle Farm is a family farm in Kentucky. A young couple owns 120 acres, but they're currently cultivating two of them. From their work, you can receive incredible bounty through a 20-week growing season between May and September. You purchase a "share" in the winter or early spring [too late for this year obviously] and then you get in-season fresh veggies each Saturday all summer. However, they may offer a fall share September-November. I've put myself on their waiting list; you should too!!

I learned about the Bugtussle folks via a friend who was going to be out of town the next several weeks -- she asked me to pick up and eat her share. I jumped at the chance. With the chaos of moving this summer, I haven't even made it to the Farmer's Market yet. I wasn't disappointed with my first basket. I got:

  • fresh green beans
  • a delicious cucumber
  • first homegrown tomato I've had this year [that and the cuke are gone already]
  • one of the sweetest fresh heads of garlic I've ever eaten [roasted last night and used in potato soup]
  • fresh herbs
  • a head of cabbage
  • fresh lettuce
  • several carrots straight out of the ground


My friend has the one-person-sized share, so that was it. Mmmmm. Am getting hungry now so I've got to go. Next Saturday when I do my pickup, I'll remember to take a photo of my bounty. I will be sad with Tina is back in three weeks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home