FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com

Fixin' Supper

Talkin' 'bout what to fix for supper. Tonight, tomorrow night....

Friday, June 03, 2005

We eat a lot of ice cream around here

I'll admit that right off the bat. I'm not going to go back and count the number of posts since I started that have centered around, or have featured, ice cream. However, I promise you that we've eaten even more than I've blogged about.

Last night I realized I had a whole bunch of apples sitting around. This happens to me a lot, because I buy apples, thinking we'll eat them, you know -- fruit, healthy, etc. -- and then they sit on the counter until they rot. At that point I go buy more apples so I can repeat the cycle. But yesterday was the golden moment in the apple life span of my kitchen; I'd bought apples twice, and most of them were still good. It was time to make homemade applesauce.

If you've never done it before, the first thing you should know is that this is one of the easiest things in the world to make. You practically can't screw it up. [This is a small recipe. If you're feeding more than four or want leftovers or canning quantities, this is not for you. Or, you will want to make this once, then start multiplying and experimenting.]

Use a large saucepan, about 3-4 quarts.
Peel and chop 3-5 apples [golden delicious are best, but almost any kind EXCEPT red delicious will work]. The smaller you chop the apples the faster they'll cook. And the longer it will take you to chop them.
Add about 1/3 cup water.
Turn heat to medium. Cover pan.
Add 2 T. butter.
Add 1/3 c. brown sugar.
Add to taste, but to begin with: 1/4 t. cinnamon
and 1/2 t. allspice
If you don't have kids, please also add:
1/3 c. really good raisins
1/3 c. nuts [wait til closer to the end of cooking]

Let that just cook for a good long while, still covered. Stir it every now and then. If it starts to soak up all the water, add a little more. You don't want dry or stuck applesauce. Also at that point, turn down the heat.

Now if you're patient, or not hungry, you can let it cook til the apples completely fall apart on their own. I am rarely patient, and I'm usually cooking when I'm hungry, so whenever they get to the point when they are ready to fall apart, I take my pastry blender and I smash 'em up. It's a different texture but still good.

Mmmmm.

And the ice cream? Well you can see above that when I got done cooking, for some reason I was struck with a desire to eat my applesauce on ice cream. It was delicious.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home