FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com

Fixin' Supper

Talkin' 'bout what to fix for supper. Tonight, tomorrow night....

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Strange hoarding

So my realtor had pointed out to me several weeks ago that I had an awful lot of food. In not so many words, that perhaps I had taken Tom Ridge a mite too seriously at all his security warnings. Despite having grown up in a house where we shopped every day for that night's dinner [my family ran a grocery store], a habit I'm slowly breaking, I still like to have lots and lots of ingredients on hand.

Since I'm moving soon [hence the realtor], I decided it might be a good idea to clean out the pantry and not pay to move all those canned goods anyway. Tonight on the way home, I decided this would be a good night to cook from what's on hand. I got in and started poking around and discovered the answer to both mysteries:
* Why I have so many cans and
* Why I have to shop every night

See for yourself. I knew I had several cans of artichoke hearts because I'd been running into them a lot lately while looking for something more useful, say, corn or green beans. [Out of both.] But look at these!! Trust me....no recipe in this world calls for five cans of artichoke hearts.

I made artichoke dip, the standard recipe you find in every Southern cookbook. Cup of mayo, cup of parmesan cheese, couple cans artichoke hearts. Seasonings here and there. Didn't like it. I'd never made this dip at home before but now I feel like I have to work on it to find a good one.

The other thing I discovered on my artichoke quest was that I actually have a serious jam hoarding issue. Oddly [OK this whole post is odd], I don't even like jam. Well, that's not strictly true. I do like it. I just don't eat it. I like every jam pictured here. It's just that when it comes down to the critical decision on Saturday morning: jam or butter on the hot, homemade biscuit? -- and I do ask myself every week -- I always opt for butter. I just love it so much.

Reminds me, need to get some regular, salted butter before Saturday. I only have unsalted at the moment. Don't want to get stuck eating jam on my biscuits.

5 Comments:

At 8:03 AM, Blogger Linda said...

Try using sour cream, cream cheese, and a splash of milk instead of the mayo (mix with the parmesan in a saucepan on low heat before adding the artichokes and throwing in the oven to make warm and bubbly). Yum.

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger Laura Creekmore said...

Oh that does sound better. Smoother. Not so bitter. I'll try it.

 
At 5:55 PM, Anonymous Jordana said...

Butter wins on biscuits for me too. My husband always asks, "Why not both?" and my son wants "a jam side and a butter side" to his biscuits. I just love plain butter a bit too much.

 
At 11:48 PM, Blogger Laura Creekmore said...

I feel compelled to confess that I found four more jars of jam after taking the photo.

I've promised some to my dad when they're up at the beginning of the month.

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger Bill said...

There's a small business (once profiled in MyBusiness Magazine) in New Mexico that sells, among other SW delights, Margarita Marmalade. I have known people to eat an entire jar in a day, it is so good. If I remember, I will bring in a jar for you to sample. It's hard to hoard this kind of treat.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home