FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com

Fixin' Supper

Talkin' 'bout what to fix for supper. Tonight, tomorrow night....

Monday, May 09, 2005

It was hard to stop at one bowl

When I was a kid, I always hated all the soups my mother liked. I don't know why; I guess it was one of those Freudian things. Wasn't he the one that talked about the need to separate from your parents? Well it doesn't really matter. I'm just rotten at making any sort of erudite reference like that. I got a great education but there's no connection between that and being able to pull up names, theories and quotes, apparently. That's what I'm still telling myself; please don't disabuse me of the notion. It's all I have.

So I didn't get around to eating cream of mushroom soup til I was grown. Really I don't know what inspired me to ever try it, except that I love mushrooms so much. But now, it's one of my favorite soups, hands-down.

There's a great recipe in an old Southern Living for doctoring canned cream of mushroom to make it taste homemade. Their online index is behind a cost wall for subscribers, etc., but if you have access, it's called Sherried Mushroom Soup. I have made this recipe for several years but tonight I decided I'd just make up my own.

It really turned out well. Here's what I did:
Cream of Mushroom Soup
Melt 2 T. butter over medium heat in a large saucepan. Add 2 small onions, chopped and saute them til they start to brown. Add 4 cloves garlic, salt and pepper to taste, and 1/2 t. thyme.

When onions begin browning, add 16 oz. chicken broth. [As always, homemade is best. More on this another time. But I too use storebought often.]

Chop and add 8 oz. mushrooms. Simmer for a few minutes, maybe 10. Then add 1/2 to 1 cup milk and 1/2 cup sour cream. --UPDATE: I forgot to say here, add 1 to 1 1/2 c. cooked rice.-- Turn heat to low.

This is a good time to add a splash of white wine if you like. Simmer over low heat [don't let it boil after you've added the dairy items, just a little bubble here and there] for 10-20 minutes, until soup thickens as you like. Taste a little bit and adjust seasonings as necessary.

3 Comments:

At 11:38 PM, Anonymous Allison said...

This post means you now might understand why our younger sister wants me to bring Cream of Wild Mushroom soup home to her when I come from NYC. A great mushroom soup is hard to find.

 
At 11:44 PM, Blogger Laura Creekmore said...

??? Oh, from that restaurant in Chelsea Market. At first I thought you meant a CANNED soup, and I was going to FOTFL [fall...]. There are some really good canned soups here in Nashville if you're shopping in the right place. But no soup restaurant.

 
At 8:48 PM, Blogger Laura Creekmore said...

One last note: I always forget how annoying it is to make soup with rice in it. (Oops, apparently I forgot to mention the rice. Will fix that in a moment.)

The rice, despite being fully cooked, seems to absorb every last drop of moisture in soup in the refrigerator over the course of a day or so. So you end up eating a rice dish with sauce and mushrooms, or you have to keep adding milk/chicken broth/whatever when you reheat. I don't like either solution; the former because it's not soup, and the latter because it slightly changes the taste.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home