FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com

Fixin' Supper

Talkin' 'bout what to fix for supper. Tonight, tomorrow night....

Saturday, May 14, 2005

First of the season

Eating strawberries always makes me think of my grandmother Creek. (Inventive with names, aren't we? The worst part is that my two sisters and I are ALL now called "Creek" by various long-time friends, and inevitably we end up in the same place at the same time, never knowing who's supposed to be answering to the name.)

Back to the main point. My grandmother had a strawberry patch for several years when I was little, in her big backyard. She worked and worked for those precious berries, laying down plastic and hay to protect the plants, and watering them carefully. Oddly I don't remember eating her strawberries, though I'm sure I did. What I do remember is that it takes work to make a strawberry, and they should be sufficiently appreciated.

While you can get strawberries year-round now, if you've not tasted a homegrown strawberry in May, you're missing one of the best foods of the year. I went to the store today for baking powder and honey and $85 later, I came home with sacks full of groceries, but the find of the day was a quart of fresh strawberries from Delvin Farms just outside Nashville.

The minute I got in the car from the store, I decided to make a cream cheese pastry to eat them with. I cut some berries up and sugared them, and saved some whole -- hopefully they'll last til Monday or Tuesday. Then I waited for my mom to call me back with the pastry recipe -- another childhood memory. And waited. And waited.

I probably waited a good 15 minutes all told. I think that was pretty dang patient with fresh strawberries on the way. Then I gave up and looked up a similar recipe on the Internet. My mom called me back while I was eating the strawberries and pastry.

I did learn a crucial difference in the two -- and I'm convinced this recipe here (originally from my other grandmother, Dee Dee) is better than the one I made tonight.

Dee Dee's Cream Cheese Pastry
1 cup flour
1 stick butter
3 oz. cream cheese

Blend with pastry blender. Knead just a little and then either roll and cut, or do what I did and just flatten the dough into 6" rounds by hand. Bake at 350 degrees just until it starts to brown.

Now the recipe I found had 4 oz. cream cheese, and I think it was a tad too much. So I'm going to try Dee Dee's next time. The found recipe also had a little sugar and salt, and I think those were good additions. I'll probably keep those.

2 Comments:

At 8:54 PM, Blogger Bill said...

I've always felt the less you do to a strawberry, the better. Sugaring them, or dipping them in chocolate, is about as far as I am willing to go. I once tried strawberries in champagne (I don't recommend really fine champagne for this, but don't get the really cheap stuff, as it is skullpop). It was fun, but I think champagne is a better accompaniment than a dip.

 
At 9:13 PM, Blogger 'Thought & Humor' said...

You have a riveting web log and undoubtedly
must have atypical & quiescent potential for
your intended readership. May I suggest that
you do everything in your power to honor
your Designer/Architect as well as your audience.
Please remember to never restrict anyone's
opportunities for ascertaining uninterrupted
existence for their quintessence.

There is a time for everything, a season for every
activity under heaven. A time to be born and a time
to die. A time to plant and a time to harvest. A time
to kill and a time to heal. A time to tear down and
a time to rebuild. A time to cry and a time to laugh.
A time to grieve and a time to dance. A time to
scatter stones and a time to gather stones. A time
to embrace and a time to turn away. A time to
search and a time to lose. A time to keep and
a time to throw away. A time to tear and a time
to mend. A time to be quiet and a time to speak
up. A time to love and a time to hate. A time for
war and a time for peace.

Best wishes for continued ascendancy,
Howdy
Editor

'Thought & Humor'
Cyber-Humor & Cyber-Thought
http://ilovehowdy.blogspot.com/
Harvard Humor Club
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Harvard_Humor_Club/

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home