FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com

Fixin' Supper

Talkin' 'bout what to fix for supper. Tonight, tomorrow night....

Saturday, May 07, 2005

DOH! Don't try this at home.

Tonight I learned why you should only make homemade ice cream at family reunions, in large crowds. Because with any task like this that you only undertake once a year or so, you're really likely to forget a critical step without six or 10 people back-seat driving.

Like taking out the dasher before you pack in the ice cream to freeze. Oops.

I've been planning to make peppermint stick ice cream for weeks now. It's one of my long-time favorites. My recipe comes out of the Good Housekeeping cookbook, but this one on allrecipes.com is very similar.

Today was finally the day. I spent quite some time digging the ice cream freezer out of the back of the garage and getting it cleaned up and set up. Then when everything was ready, I plugged it in. There's nothing worse than the sound of a dying ice cream freezer.

Except for the smoke that soon follows.

I can't complain; I bet this freezer is 25 or 30 years old. I swiped it from my parents. It was either theirs or my grandmother's. Nonetheless, despite my tinkering, it was quickly apparent that it's now time for me to plunk down the change for my own. Unless I have an unknown benefactor out there....I've added the freezer to my Amazon wish list just in case.

Anyhow, it was cold enough and we packed the ice in and went to dinner. Came back and discovered the true fatal flaw...the dasher. Fixed it fairly quickly of course. It was standing between us and homemade ice cream.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home