FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com

Fixin' Supper

Talkin' 'bout what to fix for supper. Tonight, tomorrow night....

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Phooey on food TV

I've long been puzzled by many of my friends' attraction to the Food Network and other cooking shows on TV. It seems to overtake folks of a certain age; my 26-year-old sister reports that her friends aren't watching yet. I told her to give it about three years; I've been hearing about it for at least that long from all my friends, and that would about take care of our age gap.

But despite my love of piddling in the kitchen, I'm not in the least attracted to watching a TV show about cooking. Now, I will admit that if I'm flipping channels and I see someone making a good recipe, I'll stop to watch for a couple minutes. But I'm talking about people who intentionally sit down and watch an hour or more of television -- about other people cooking.

I have a theory about this. The South is full of hero-worshippers. We love our athletes, our soldiers, our ancestors. We respect authority. So when it comes to food, my friends are just giving a nod to the acknowledged authorities with their hours devoted to Iron Chef.

I think it also explains why I hate food television so much: 1. I would rather flout authority. 2. I can't like food TV if everyone else does.

4 Comments:

At 1:12 AM, Anonymous Allison said...

You're right. Give our youngest sister's friends a few years. They will learn what I have (being the middle sister): the Food Network makes it all look fun. Now mind you, I'm not a fan of all cooking shows. I hate Emeril with a passion (bam! sounds like it's straight from an old Batman and Robin episode).

But I love Alton Brown and the show Good Eats. He's a foodie in a nerdish sort of way, and actually makes learning about food fun. I've learned all these things about food from watching his show.

 
At 7:55 AM, Blogger Laura Creekmore said...

Alton Brown is the worst. He would be the most annoying friend.

Now maybe there is some good in this if it has made you like cooking. I can't argue with that. But don't tell me I should like it.

 
At 11:52 PM, Anonymous Allison said...

I never said you should like it, silly. And I never said I wanted to be Alton Brown's friend. Do I think his cooking show is informative and funny? Yes. And did I learn a lot from his show? Absolutely. Do I want to have a conversation with him ever? Not so much.

But don't forget what really made me start cooking again recently -- great knives. Don't cook without them.

 
At 7:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I was just blog surfing and found you! If you are interested, go see my high fiber food related site. It pretty much covers high fiber food stuff. I guess you may find something of interest.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home