FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com

Fixin' Supper

Talkin' 'bout what to fix for supper. Tonight, tomorrow night....

Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Nothing says spring like a chili dog

I had lunch yesterday with a friend I hadn't seen in nearly two years. We used to work together at a little Internet venture here in town [and then later at Hammock before she hopped over to grad school at Owen]. When we were in the midst of the dot com craze, we ate all the time over at the Mojo Grill. I haven't been there in forever, but that's where we met yesterday.

Yesterday was one of the first really great days for sitting on the patio for lunch here in Nashville. [Today's the second, but you're reading my lunch "minutes" right now...] So of course I ordered the Texas Chili Dog. [I apologize, accidentally left the camera at home. Better food reporting next time.] Surprisingly, the chili dog is a rapidly disappearing culinary treat in this town. I really don't get it. We make the top 10 of all sorts of obesity and unhealthful surveys, and this seems like a key item in such rankings to me. If we're going to keep up our stats, we need more chili dogs in Nashville.

The best chili dog in town USED to be at McCabe Pub on Murphy Road. I honestly believe it's been a full five years since they've had it on the menu, but that doesn't stop me from ordering it every few times I go in there. I used to do so every time, until there were a couple folks who threatened to stop eating with me. I was hoping to inspire a groundswell of support for it, you know?

Well here's to spring, and to more chili dogs in the future.

4 Comments:

At 1:36 PM, Anonymous Busy Mom said...

Now that's weird. I am just sitting here having a discussion about Mc Cabe's right now.

 
At 2:53 PM, Anonymous Lena said...

As you know, Laura, I have quite a few quirky food phobias, but somehow chili dog is not one of them. I will happily sign any petition to make chili-dog availability more widespread. Now chili CHEESE dogs, that's another story...

 
At 1:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep it up. I enjoy your nice blog. check out my greek food site. It pretty much covers greek food related stuff.

 
At 6:34 AM, Blogger tom naka said...

Just thought i would say hi from Japan. Doing some blog surfing and found your site. Im looking for some cool styles of restaurant newark for my own blog. Theres some really amazing blogs about. if you have time check out my site you will find information on restaurant newark. Well when i get my blog running hope you come and check it out.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home